NAMHO NEWSLETTER 43 - Summer 2002
SPECIAL ABERYSTWYTH CONFERENCE EDITION
8 - 11 July 2002
INTRODUCTION TO ABERYSTWYTH AND THE NAMHO 2002 CONFERENCE
WELCOME TO ABERYSTWYTH
Aberystwyth has, for nearly 400 years, provided a centre
for servicing mining activity in mid-Wales. With the development of large
scale mining from the late 16th century onwards the harbour provided an
ideal shipping point for ore and metals. The castle provided a secure location
for the mint used by Thomas Bushell during the Civil War of the 1640s,
coining silver from Cwmsymlog, Cwmerfin and other mines in the hinterland.
As the mines developed as major lead producers in the 18th century, Aberystwyth
developed as a major service centre. A lead smelter, the Anchor works,
established close to the harbour in the late 18th century was short lived.
The increased mechanisation of mining, waterwheels, crushers and other
dressing machinery, led to the establishment of a local foundry operation
- a building which housed Green's Foundry stood until quite recently opposite
the railway station. The railway itself came late to the area, the narrow
gauge line to Pontarfynach/Devils Bridge was intended to open up the hinterland
but carried little lead and zinc ore as the mines were already in terminal
decline. Aberystwyth did however benefit from increased tourism, building
on its popularity with the gentry from the 18th century, and better communications
meant a wider market for agriculture in the surrounding area.
Today, as well as continuing to provide a service centre
for the agricultural and tourist industries, Aberystwyth has become a significant
cultural centre for Wales. The National Library/Llyfrygell
Genedlaethol Cymru, the University, the Royal Commission
on the Ancient and Historical Monuments in Wales and the Arts Centre all
play important roles at national and local levels. Surrounded as it is
with impressive countryside, a large section of which is designated as
a Landscape of Outstanding Historic Interest having mining at its centre,
Aberystwyth provides an outstanding location for the NAMHO 2002 conference.
The conference theme, the application of water power,
will strike a chord with most, if not all, mining historians. It has an
international appeal which is reflected in the lecture programme. Delegates
will also have the opportunity to explore the theme in visits to mines
in the hinterland to Aberystwyth as it is no coincidence that the high
rainfall of the Ceredigion Uplands and its location, remote from the coalfields,
promoted the extensive use of water power.
The conference and its location are yours to enjoy. Please
make full use of the facilities, visits the trade stands and poster displays
in Penbryn Hall, and above all interact with the contributors and other
Peter Claughton - Chairman of the Organising Committee
WELCOME TO THE 2002 NAMHO CONFERENCE
I was elected Chairman of the National Association of Mining
History Organisations in April of this year. Ivor Brown, the previous Chairman,
did not stand for re-election. At the same meeting Wes Taylor stood down
as Secretary and Rob Vernon as Conservation Officer. All three have contributed
a lot of time and effort in promoting NAMHO and have involved themselves
in many projects which will have long term benefits for us all and I would
like to thank them for all their efforts.
We have to be wary of Local Authorities and officials
within public and, now increasingly, privatised bodies who see only the
dangers of disused mine sites and not their value as archaeological remains.
Often on abandoned mine sites, the archaeological interest lies hidden
away in the undergrowth. NAHMO is currently reviewing guidelines for archaeological
research to provide a way forward to protect these invaluable time capsules.
Local politicians and environmentalists see these in a different way to
mining historians and explorers. Rob Vernon spent many years negotiating
with the Forestry Commission in North Wales regarding the preservation
of mining remains within the Gwydyr Forest but he was never able to convince
them to provide NAMHO with an access agreement. In Shropshire, we have
worked closely with the Local Authorities and have achieved a lot of good
work in the South of the County. This is not necessarily true throughout
the area where relationships can be difficult to build up with suspicious
Council officials. These guidelines will help strengthen your hand when
negotiating difficult scenarios.
A big project NAMHO is considering taking on board is
getting the Mining Journal indexed and put onto CD-Rom where it can be
of real use to researchers, explorers and historians alike. As with all
good ideas, we need volunteers to help with a project like this. There
are lottery grants available to do this sort of work but it does require
someone to apply for the grant and co-ordinate the project. Please contact
one of the committee members or your club representative if you would like
to get involved with this project.
I am proud to be Chairman at this year's conference having
spent a lot of years wandering around Mid Wales enjoying the splendid scenery
and exploring the hidden wealth of industrial remains this part of the
country has to offer. Water power is the theme of this years conference
- certainly there is no shortage of sites where you can view first hand
how and where it was used to good effect. The Underground Waterwheel at
Ystrad Einion is perhaps one of the most famous water wheels in the area
and delegates will have the opportunity to view it over this weekend. The
area has many other fascinating remains which many of you will discover
and discuss over the Conference weekend. I have spent many years up to
my neck in mud and water exploring the remains many of you will visit and
hear about this weekend and I hope you enjoy finding out about this area
as I have done.
I have attended all sorts of conferences over the years
and I always think ours as the best, both in terms of content and because
it provides opportunities to meet old friends at each Conference. There
have been many positive links set up through NAHMO, such as the group made
up from at least 7 clubs who visit Nenthead for at least 3 weeks every
year. By making contacts I have been able to visit sites as far afield
as Ireland, Isle of Man, Cornwall, Scotland and the South East. I see NAHMO
as one big family - let's ensure it continues for many years to come.
Mike Moore - NAMHO Chairman
NEW CHAIRMAN AND SECRETARY FOR NAMHO
At the recent AGM, the representatives of the Member Organisations
of NAMHO elected their Officers for the coming year. The previous Chairman
and Secretary did not offer themselves for re-election.
Ivor Brown had been an Officer of NAMHO since it was founded
in 1979. He was Treasurer from 1979 - 1988, Deputy Chairman from 1989 -
1993 and Chairman from 1993 - 2002. Wes Taylor had been Secretary from
1996 - 2002.
The new Chairman is Mike Moore and the Secretary is Sallie
Bassham. The elected oficers of NAMHO are:
Mike Moore, 53 Vineyard Drive, NEWPORT, Shropshire, TF10
7DF Tel: 01952 405105. E mail: email@example.com
Peter Claughton, Blaenpant Morfil, Rosebush, CLYNDERWEN,
SA66 7RE Tel: 01437 532578. E Mail: P.F.CLAUGHTON@EXETER.AC.UK
Sallie Bassham, Winshaw Barn, Chapel-le-Dale, INGLETON, LA6
3AT Tel: 01524 241851. E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Roger Gosling, 51GreenhillRoad, Alveston, BRISTOL, BS35 3NA
Tel: 01454 883607. E mail: email@example.com
Wes Taylor, 18 Station Lane, Walton on Trent, SWADLINCOTE,
DE12 8NA. Tel: 01283 713315. E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
ITEMS OF NAMHO INTEREST DISCUSSED AT THE NCA AGM - 23 MARCH
The following resolutions, which have possible implications
for NAMHO clubs, were passed at the recent NCA AGM.
Since the events of 11 September 2001, there have been, and
continue to develop, particular consequences for insurance. It has been
jointly agreed by BCRA and DCA that there has to be one insurance scheme
and that this should in future be administered by NCA. It is essential
that this is simple to operate and does cover the bulk of caving/mining
It is proposed that NCA take over administration of the
caving/mining insurance and that this be part of membership of NCA - i.e.
every club wanting insurance will have to join NCA and all members of each
club will be insured. This is not much different from current BCRA insurance
except in that all clubs will have to affiliate to NCA (current fee £15/annum).
Any change will have to come into force by October 2002 and there still
needs to be much discussion on the subject. It is unlikely, however, that
there will be any choice on this subject.
It is possible that the insurance will not cover Ireland
and this might have implications for NAMHO 2003. The importance of this
to NAMHO has been emphasised.
2. Merger of NCA and BCRA
There was unanimous support for the merging of NCA and BCRA
activities to provide the 'one-stop shop' provisionally called "Underground
Britain". The new approach (as reflected in the name) gives due emphasis
to mine exploration as well as caving and it might become more appropriate
for mining only NAMHO clubs to join and hence be eligible for insurance
as discussed in item 1.
3. Individual membership of NCA
There are plans to allow individual membership of NCA or
"Underground Britain". This may give a route to insurance if clubs do not
want to participate. However, it is doubtful whether individual membership
will be much cheaper than club membership.
NCA is extremely democratic and the above changes still
have to approved by a postal ballot of member clubs. This will be of particular
interest/concern to NAMHO clubs who currently use BCRA (or DCA) insurance
but are not affiliated to NCA.
Steve Holding - NAMHO representative on NCA
CORNWALL'S OLDEST ARTEFACT?
During the first week of March, a potentially very significant
object was discovered by Geoff Treseder of the St Just Mines Research Group.
Recent heavy seas had removed boulders from the area in front of the adit
of Wheal Hermon, near St Just, to expose this object. The adit is just
above high tide level.
The object was excavated by the Cornwall Archaeology Unit
with the co-operation of the National Trust, the landowners, and staff
from Geevor Tin Mine Museum. It was hauled up the cliff and taken to the
Museum where it is being stored in water before dating and conservation
work is carried out. The National Trust has agreed to undertake this work
and it is hoped that the artefact will eventually be on show at Geevor.
The excavation and recovery were video recorded by Mines Group member John
Potter, who has made many films on local mining themes.
The artefact has been provisionally identified as part
of a pump column, probably made of elm, which was later re-used as a section
of pipe to take water out of the adit. The section is reinforced with a
wrought iron band and is very similar to Agricola's illustrations of pumps
Hermon is one of the oldest mines in the St Just area.
There have been suggestions that it was working underground as early as
the 16th century. It was worked extensively in the 18th Century and sporadically
up to the 1940's. The lodes running through the cliff and across the rocks
of the beach are obvious and it seems likely that they would have been
followed underground at an early date. This would have entailed working
below sea level. A small winze can be seen just inside the adit.
The object may thus give some hard evidence for the earliest
date at which underground mining as opposed to lodeback working began in
the local area.
Bill Lakin (Geevor Mine)
"RECORDING THE UNDERGROUND ARCHAEOLOGY OF MINES - A DESCRIPTIVE
Recording of surface features on mine sites is usually carried
out to certain defined standards or specifications. When it comes to underground
sites no similar standards exist. This document aims to fill that gap.
It is aimed at two key audiences. Firstly the professionals who manage
archaeological resources in the UK. Secondly it is aimed at the members
of NAMHO organisations who are the people most likely to carry out the
recording of underground sites.
By defining standards of survey it is easier to raise
the profile of underground archaeology and ensure that underground sites
are recorded and given the same protection as surface sites. To complement
this document the NAMHO guidelines on collection of artefacts have also
been updated to bring them into line with current good archaeological practice.
Copies of the guidelines are available on the NAMHO website,
(www.namho.org) and I would welcome any comments.
Martin Roe - NAMHO Conservation Officer
NEW UNDERGROUND DIMENSION-STONE QUARRY TO OPEN ON THE ISLE
OF PORTLAND, DORSET
Work has commenced on establishing a new underground building
stone quarry on the Isle of Portland, Dorset. Albion Stone Quarries has
planning permission for a room-and-pillar quarry under 25 hectares of agricultural
and amenity land belonging to the Crown Estate at Stonehills, (NGR SY 682705),
between the settlements at Weston and Southwell. Developmental trial mining
is scheduled to commence in summer 2002. It will extract a bed of commercially
suitable stone, averaging six metres in thickness, with diamond-wire saws
and 'jet-belt' stone-cutters. The existence of a strong ceiling bed has
been established, and the quarry will have rooms and pillars five metres
wide, giving an extraction ratio of 75%.
The underground quarrying option has been adopted in response
to environmental concerns relating to extended openworks on the island.
The new mine (underground quarry) will be accessed via a 120m open 1 in
10 inclined roadway. This, with low-level ventilation shafts, will disturb
less than 0.5 hectare (less than 2% of the site.) All extraction and associated
activity, including workshops and welfare provision, will be underground.
The amenity and agricultural and archaeological values of the surface will
be safeguarded. The main planning consideration relates to increased traffic,
estimated at five additional HGV vehicles each way daily. Quarry waste
will be backfilled underground.
Paul Sowan (Quarry Management, March 2002)
THE OLLERENSHAW TABLE
The Ollerenshaw Table, a Blue John and gilt brass work of
art created some 140 years ago, was recently sold by Sotherby's for a reported
£100,000. The top of the table consists of segments of Blue John
fluorspar known as "bull-beef" which came from the Blue John Cavern.
The table was acquired by the parents of Arthur Ollerenshaw
in 1945 and gave it to Arthur and his wife as a wedding present. The Ollerenshaws
(senior) had bought the Blue John Cavern at Castleton in 1920.
Eva Ollerenshaw, the widow of Arthur, opened the Ollerenshaw
collection of Blue John at the Cavendish Museum in Castleton. The Ollerenshaw
Table was on display in the Museum until recently
PDMHS Newsletter(Derbyshire Times 29/11/01)
SIR KINGSLEY DUNHAM MINERAL EXHIBITION
The Friends of Killhope have recently set up a display of
North Pennine Minerals at the Killhope Museum. The display includes samples
of the spectacular Weardale Fluorites, Witherite, Alstonite, Barytocalcite
and other minerals.
The minerals in the collection are decribed fully within
The display has been dedicated to the late Sir Kingsley
Dunham, a former President of the Friends of Killhope, for his enthusiasm
and understanding of the geology and minerals of the North Pennines.
Friends of Killhope Newsletter
DEVELOPMENT OF LISHEEN ZINC MINE, IRELAND
Development of the Lisheen Mine in County Tipperary, the
largest underground zinc mine in Europe, is being speeded by specialist
admixtures from Sika Ireland. Two Aliva wet process concrete spraying machines
are fed by an 11m3 mine truck containing fresh concrete which has to be
transported nearly 2km underground over rough roadways. The concrete mix
has to survive the journey without segregation, need no remixing before
use and spray with minimum rebound.
Spraying rates of up to 55m3 a shift have been achieved,
and the system is now also in use at the nearby Galmoy Mine.
New Civil Engineer Concrete Supplement Nov 2001
"The Miners' Strike - Day by Day" edited by Brian Elliot.
2002 published by Pen & Sword Books Ltd. ISBN: 1 903425 166. Cost £9.99
This is an illustrated personal diary of Arthur Wakefield.
Arthur recorded his experiences, impressions and events in considerable
detail as he fought for jobs and communities throughout the great miners
strike of 1984/85.
The diary is a unique personal day by day account of the
most bitter industrial dispute since the 1926 General Strike. Armed with
nothing more than a camera and great determination, he by-passed countless
blockades and in the early hours of the morning he would join his colleagues
at picket lines, ports, powers stations and works in many parts of Yorkshire,
Nottinghamshire, Lancashire and the Midlands.
Arthur Wakefield is a key witness at the 'Battle of Orgreave'
on 18 June 1984, the 100th day of the strike, which he describes as 'Monday,
Bloody, Monday'. His descriptions of the 'Battle' described in this book
have also helped produce an historical live re-enactment shown on Channel
4. The Editor of the book, Brian Elliot, is Barnsley's local historian
who and has produced a number of publications during his research of Barnsley's
1. "Year of Wonders" by Geraldine Brooks. Published by Fourth
Estate, London. ISBN 1-84115-457-1. Hardback 310pp, cost £12.99.
This book is a novel that is loosely based on events in Eyam,
the "plague village" in 1666. It contains many references to lead mining
which the author claims to have been gleaned from "A History of Lead Mining
in the Pennines".
The reader will discover references to firesetting, a
"lead seam", "large toadstones", a "fother of ore", an attempted nicking
at "Burning Drake" Mine (near Eyam?), the "Barmester", the "Body of the
Mine" (of 20 men) and a descent "over the lip of the adit".
Students of lead mining are advised to consult other publications
whereas keen readers of novels will discover explicit sex, violence, strong
language and witchcraft.
2. "The Practice of British Geology, 1750-1850" by Hugh Torrens.
Ashgate, Variorum Collected Studies Series, March 2002, 372 pp., ISBN 0
86078 876 8. Cost £59.50.
This collection of papers explores an area seldom considered
by mining historians, the contribution made by geological practitioners
to the advance of mining in the growth period of the Industrial Revolution.
The papers, listed below, largely focus on the advantages of understanding
the stratigraphical column in mineral prospecting, confining attention
to the search for clays, limestone, ironstone and, of course, coal which
are found in stratified form. Prospecting for minerals occurring in veins
is given only passing mention.
Torrens' papers are punctuated with accounts of futile
trials for coal in unsuitable strata, some well into the 19th century.
Up to the late 18th century fossils had been studied as curiosities in
their own right but it was William Smith who, in the 1790s, used them to
identify the rocks in which they were found. In doing so, Smith could unravel
the stratigraphy of rocks, establishing a sequence in which the principal
coal bearing strata, the Carboniferous Coal Measures, could be placed with
accuracy. Smith built on the work of his predecessors and was often assisted
by that of other practical men of the period. Torrens has identified the
role of these men, practical surveyors and miners, men with little or no
formal training. Friction between the practical geologists and the 'gentlemen'
of the Geological Society of London is highlighted in Torrens paper on
Sir Joseph Banks, and a second, co-authored with Dr Trevor Ford, exploring
the work of John Farey. Banks' early patronage of the practitioners brought
him into conflict with the new scientific establishment. The economic benefits
of the former were clearly in evidence on Banks' own estates in Derbyshire,
and he made representation to the Society on behalf of both Smith and Farey,
yet he and the establishment tend to be at the forefront of geological
historiography whilst the practical men seldom warrant a mention. Torrens'
has countered that tendency. Despite what he describes as the 'papyrophobia'
of such practitioners his accounts paint a credible, well researched picture
of men who influenced the direction of mining in Britain and abroad at
a time of increased industrial demands, but whose work has largely gone
As in all such collections in the Variorum Series, the
papers retain their original pagination. The original language of publication
is also retained which, in the case of one paper in French and substantial
sections of another in Italian, still makes them inaccessible to a largely
English speaking audience.
The contents are:
Some thoughts on the complex and forgotten history of mineral
exploration, Journal of the Open University Geological Society 17 (1997).
The British 'mineral engineer' John Williams (1732-1795),
his work in Britain from 1749 to 1793 and as a mineral surveyor in the
Veneto and North Italy between 1793 and 1795, Le Scienze della Terra nel
Venteto dell Ottocento, (Venice, 1998).
Geological communication in the Bath area in the last half
of the 18th century, Images of the Earth: Essays in the History of the
Environmental Sciences, ed. L. J. Jordanova and R. Porter, (Faringdon,
Le 'Nouvel Art de Prospection Minière' de William
Smith et le 'Projet de Houillère de Brewham': un essai malencontreux
de recherche de charbon dans le sud-ouest de l'Angleterre, entre 1803 et
1810, De la Géologie à Son Histoire: Livre Jubilaire pour
François Ellenberger, ed. G. Gohau (Paris, 1998).
Patronage and problems: Banks and the earth sciences, Sir
Joseph Banks: A Global Perspective, ed. R E R Banks et al. (Kew, 1994).
John Farey (1766-1826), an unrecognised polymath, with Trevor
Ford, General View of the Agriculture and Minerals of Derbyshire, John
Farey sen., vol. 1, (reprint, Matlock Bath, 1989).
Coal hunting at Bexhill 1805-1811: how the new science of
stratigraphy was ignored, Sussex Archaeological Collections 136, (Lewes,
James Ryan (c.1770-1847) and the problems of introducing
Irish 'new technology' to British mines in the early 19th century, Science
and Society in Ireland: The Social Context of Science and Technology in
Ireland, 1800-1950, ed. P. J. Bowler and N. Whyte (Belfast, 1997).
Arthur Aikin's mineralogical survey of Shropshire 1796-1816
and the contemporary audience for geological publications, British Journal
for the History of Science 16 (London, 1983).
The Scientific Ancestry and Historiography of The Silurian
System, Journal of the Geological Society 147 (Bath, 1990).
Joseph Harrison Fryer (1777-1855): geologist and mining engineer
in England 1803-1825 and South America 1826-1828 - a study in 'failure',
Geological Sciences in Latin America: Scientific Relations and Exchanges,
ed. M. M. Lopes and S. F. Figueirôa (Campinas, 1995).
William Edmond Logan's geological apprenticeship in Britain
1831-1842, Geoscience Canada 26 (St. John's, 1999)
James Buckman (1814-1884), English consulting geologist and
his visit to the Guyandotte coal-fields in 1854, with William R. Brice,
Southeastern Geology 38, (Durham NC, 1999).
3. "Friends on the Northern Lead Dales - An anthology of
the Friends of Killhope" - edited by Bryan Chambers. Published 2002 by
The Friends of Killhope. A4, paper covers, 134pp, many photos, maps and
illustrations. ISBN 0 951 8939 20. Cost £12
This is the third publication in this series and is again
an eclectic collection of articles, which except for two or three short
pieces are for the North Pennines. In all some 43 contributions, though
some of these are just photographs. It is profusely illustrated and some
of the photographs are especially welcome, both as first-published and
for their intrinsic interest. If you ever wonder why it is difficult to
get enough volunteers nowadays, see the caption on the page 3 (1966) photograph,
and for the really glorious days of ill-health and un-safety, page 32.
The book covers the whole range of activities associated
with Mining History. The individual articles range from the geology of
the North Pennines, the working of the mines, the preparation of the ore
for smelting and the smelting of the ore. The social history of the area
is covered, including the migration of people from the area to New Zealand.
Publication quality is economical and good but, though
the quality of articles is mixed, most fully deserve this wider publication:
their origin was largely in the Friends' Newsletter, which is designed
for its members and not necessarily for an academic readership. It is particularly
pleasing to see the strong representation here of mining/ore processing
in the 20th century, a century for which I fear we will lose a much higher
proportion of our mining history than for the two earlier unless we act
For this reviewer, the top three were June Crosby writing
on Ignatius Bonomi the Durham architect; M.R. Graham's clear description
of desilvering and Margaret Manchester's note on pre-conquest smelting
on Bollithorpe Common but, using a little imagination, Colin Short's exposition
of the Stanhope Lead and Manure Works almost takes the breath away! Choose
your own favourites!
WORLD HERITAGE SITE
The Neolithic Flint Mines at Spiennes in Belgium have been
declared a World Heritage Site. This is an encouraging move towards recognising
the importance of underground archaeology, albeit in Belgium rather than
Spiennes is a hamlet 5km south east of Mons (Bergen) and
is on a par with Grimes Graves in England, Ryckholt -St Geetruid in The
Netherlands and Krzemionki in Poland. A description, site map and mine
sections are given in Robert Shepherd's "Prehistoric Mining and Allied
Industries". (Academic Press, 1980, pages 68-76).
1. High insurance premiums hits proposed new quarry
The proposal to reopen Guards Wood Quarry, a flag slate quarry
near Coniston and which is on National Trust land is under threat. The
quarry was last worked in 1920. The proposal, which is supported by the
National Trust, is for small scale working to provide materials for restoration
of local properties.
The problem with the proposed reopening of the quarry
is that insurance companies are asking for circa £10,000 per year
to provide the required indemnity to protect the operation. These costs,
coupled with the low level of production proposed may make the proposal
2. Greenside Mine
A start was recently made to stabilise the ground at Greenside
Mine. The £1.4m project involves the reshaping of Tailings Dam and
with other work on watercourses and retaining walls on the site.
3. Low Brandy Crag Quarry, Coppermines Valley, Coniston
The Lake District National Park Authority has given permission
to extract 20,000 tonnes of the distinctive silver grey slate from the
quarry at Coniston. The 10 year extraction programme will result in the
lowering of the quarry floor by 15 metres.
The level of proposed output will result in six lorry
loads of slate clog being transported to a production unit in Kirkby in
Furness each week
HERITAGE LOTTERY FUND HELPS COMMUNITIES TO EXPLORE AND CELEBRATE
THEIR COALMINING HERITAGE
The Heritage Lottery Fund is committed to helping people
in Britain's former coalmining areas to develop new and exciting projects
that explore their rich heritage and play a part in their community's regeneration.
It enables communities to celebrate, look after and learn more about our
diverse heritage. From our great museums and historic buildings to local
parks and beauty spots or recording and celebrating traditions customs
and history, the Heritage Lottery Fund grants open up our nation's heritage
for everyone to enjoy. We have made more than 8,100 grants worth over £1.9billion
to projects across the UK.
Over the past year, the Heritage Lottery Fund has supported
the Coalfields Heritage Project which has given coalfield communities a
real say on what heritage in coalfields could and should be. The project
was run by the Coalfields Regeneration Trust in partnership with the Coalfield
Communities Campaign and the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation.
It has given over £6million in grants to the National
Coal Mining Museum for England in West Yorkshire, including £4.4million
for the latest project to safeguard the heritage of the site, preserve
the nationally important collections and provide new visitor facilities.
But the Heritage Lottery Fund has also supported many
other projects aimed at ensuring more people can learn about and appreciate
Britain's coalmining heritage, from headgears and steam engines to miners'
The other projects include:
The proposed transformation of Woodhorn Colliery in Northumberland
into a major visitor attraction and new home to the county's archives.
The Heritage Lottery Fund has allocated £l0million of Lottery players'
money in a Stage One Pass and awarded £258,750 in development funding.
Denaby & Cadeby Miner's Welfare in Doncaster, South Yorkshire,
has restored the Denaby Main Colliery Banner and put it on public display
to celebrate the area's mining past, supported by a grant of nearly £6,000.
St Hilda's Colliery headstock is being restored by South
Tyneside Metropolitan Borough Council, with a grant of £43,200, so
that visitors, including schoolchildren, can learn about Tyneside's coalmining
The Lady Victoria Colliery in Newtongrange, Midlothian, has
been restored and transformed into the Scottish Mining Museum with the
help of grants totalling nearly £3.6million.
Bersham Colliery headgear at Rhostyllen, Clwyd, has been
restored to become an important centre for telling the story of Wales'
coalmining industry, supported by a grant of £61,400.
CLOSURE OF COLLIERIES
1. Longannet Colliery
The extensive Longannet Colliery in Scotland suddenly closed
in March 2002 as a result of a serious inrush of water that effectively
flooded the mine. The owners, Scottish Coal (Deep Mine) Ltd, have called
in the receivers following a mining engineering report that states that
the cost of recovering the mine would be horrendous. There are still large
reserves of coal available to the mine.
2. Blenkinsopp Mine, Northumberland
The last production coal face at this colliery was established
earlier this year. The face is planned to finish in August 2002. The colliery
will be abandoned on completion of the working of this face.
3. Prince of Wales Colliery
Prince of Wales Colliery, the oldest working coal mine in
the UK is to be run down over the next 6 months. The Pontefract (West Yorkshire)
colliery dates back to 1860 and further investment cannot be justified
due to limited reserves of coal.
1. TXU to close two plants
The American energy company TXU is reducing capacity at two
Midlands coal-powered power stations due to the falling price of electricity.
The plants concerned are the 333MW unit 12 at its 999MW Drakelow C power
station in Derbyshire and the 189MW unit four at its 945MW High Marnham
plant in Nottinghamshire. (15 Jan Guardian)
2. UK Coal seeks £100m shutdown aid
UK Coal is seeking up to £100m in state aid to shut
its large Selby mining complex.(1 March Times)
3. Hydrogen found in Earth's crust is 'limitless fuel supply'
The world's energy problems could be over after the discovery
in the Earth's crust of vast quantities of hydrogen gas - widely regarded
as the most promising alternative to today's dwindling stocks of fossil
fuels. (14 April Sun Tel)
4. Nevada tunnels will house US nuclear waste.
The US Congress has voted in favour of storing thousands
of tonnes of nuclear waste in a network of tunnels in the Nevada desert.
The plan has caused outrage with citizens in Nevada although Congress feel
the plan would deter terriorists. (10 May Times,)
BOTALLACK ENGINE HOUSES, CORNWALL
The ownership of the Crowns Engine Houses has been transferred
to the National Trust and the lease to the Botallack Trust has been terminated.
The Trust will not be wound up and the Trustees are now
invesigating other suitable sites for restoration.
Carn Brea Mining Society Newsletter
NORTH PENNINE HERITAGE TRUST - NENTHEAD MINES
Admission arrangements for NAMHO Groups and Independent
Comments about these arrangements should be directed to Peter
Jackson, NPHT via the Trust offices or by phone on 01642 564100.
All visitors are required to obtain the permission of the
Trust before entering the site.
The Trust assumes that all visiting groups will comply with
statutory Health and Safety requirements. The Trust expects that visitors
will have third party liability insurance.
Visits can be arranged in advance or during the opening times
of the visitor centre. You can contact NPHT by phone, e-mail, fax or personal
call. When the visitor centre is closed during the winter season our staff
can be contacted via the Trust office in the Rampgill Mine wood yard.
The admission charge is £1.00 per person for each visit.
NPHT members are not charged.
No person may descend Brewery Shaft without making special
separate arrangements with the Trust. You should contact the Trust office
by post or via e-mail with a detailed proposal. Proposals will only be
considered for periods when the Visitor Centre is not open to the public.
Vehicles must be parked in the Visitor Centre car park. There
are no car parking spaces at the end of the byway at Mill Cottage.
No vehicles will be allowed to travel to Smallcleugh Mine
or any other mine entrance.
Club members may visit Carrs Mine with a Trust official and
normal visitor charges will apply.
Payment will be made in advance or at the time of the visit.
Members of any group must obey all Health and Safety warnings,
follow any instructions on NPHT notices, and comply with the directions
of NPHT employees and Directors.
Groups will not be permitted to remain overnight on the site,
except as residents of the Mill Cottage bunkhouse.
Mines on the Nenthead Mine site include Carrs, Caplecleugh
Low, Rampgill, Smallcleugh, Hodgsons Low, Hodgsons High, Firestone and
Middlecleugh.Levels, and Brewery and Hangingshaw Engine shafts.
Contact numbers are:
Visitor centre 01434 382037
Trust office 01434 382045
Fax 01434 382294
E mail email@example.com
North Pennines Heritage Trust, Nenthead Mines, Nenthead,
Alston, Cumbria, CA9 3PD
Company number 2241272 Charity number 700701
articles, photographs, letters etc for future editions of the Newsletter
should be sent to:-
Hon Editor - Wes Taylor, 18 Station Lane,
Walton on Trent, Swadlincote, Derbys, DE12 8NA.
Tel:- 01283 713315
NAMHO web sites:
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF MINING HISTORY ORGANISATIONS
Registered Charity No 297301
Registered Office, c/o Peak District Mining Museum, The
Pavilion, South Parade, Matlock Bath, Matlock, Derbyshire, DE4 3NR.
Tel:- Matlock (01629) 583834.
The contents of this publication are in the public domain.
There is no restriction on the publication of articles from this Newsletter
provided acknowledgement of the source is made in any subsequent publication.
Opinions expressed in this publication are those of the authors and do
not necessarily reflect the opinion of the National Association of Mining
History Organisations. Copy submitted for publication is not checked by
the Editor for accuracy
Website designed by Resources
Computing International Ltd
Return to Welsh Mines
Society Home Page